Friday, July 27, 2012

Technology and Education: Session 5


Dr. Roberts highlighted the tremendous increase in the use of media among children and adolescents.  With the connectivity of students today, Dr. Roberts’ lecture had me question if I should be focused on implementing more technology in the classroom.  However, in today’s society, technology is important, and students must have exposure to technology and be comfortable with its uses in order to successfully enter most professions.  As teachers, we are in a unique position in that we can address this shift in media use among our students and promote its use in moderation.  Some of the questions I have for Dr. Roberts are: How does media use differ among race, socioeconomic status and location?  Can this increase in technology use be positively correlated with childhood obesity and ADHD?  How do we “disengage” our students and still keep their attention?

Add high school online learning to another program meant to cut costs but ultimately undermines the purpose of a teacher and classroom education.  Having one teacher for a class of 150 online students is most definitely cheaper than 150 students in a traditional classroom, but the quality of this education seems to promote practices such as plagiarizing while eliminating the important social and physical aspects of a classroom environment.  From what I have experienced, most high school students do not have skills to successfully complete online learning.  Many of these students still need the scaffolding and personal encouragement found in a traditional course.  However, I do believe that online learning could be successful for highly motivated and highly skilled students looking to increase their knowledge, as long as the course is designed to challenge the student and maintain high standards.  With the increase in online courses at the college level, it will be important to teach students how to navigate the Internet, select appropriate sources, as well as define plagiarism and its consequences.  My school does employ an online learning center for students who need to recover credit, and although I do not know much about the curriculum, I am skeptical of the actual learning that is taking place will be concerned if the program begins to grow.

Technology Resources for the Teacher:

Prezi: I would love to use Prezi for student presentations.  It is a newer resource so students familiar with PowerPoint may be able to enjoy something new and allow for more creativity.  It also doesn’t require students to have certain software, and the presentation is stored on the Internet, so it is more accessible to students.

Quizlet: An online flashcard resource that students could use to store their vocabulary words.  Biotechnology involves a lot of new, technical vocabulary and I could envision either creating a bank for students to study from, or having each student create their own banks with definitions in their own words.  Students could also create vocabulary games and play each other’s games.

Google Sites: Free web space to create a website.  I want to create a website that includes all of my classroom resources/activities, homework, presentations and agendas for students to be able to access when absent, missing an assignment, or need additional help.

Google Docs:  Google docs provides free word processing, spreadsheet and presentation tools that can be stored online and allow for collaboration.  I would like to integrate a biotech project for students in which they learn to use the different document tools, cloud storage, and collaborative capabilities that they will most definitely use in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment